Thursday 10 May 2012

WE BE JAMMIN'.

Spent an enjoyable few hours jamming in the excellent Plug Studios here in sunny (read: rainy) Norwich with my mates Simon (on guitar) and Gonzalo (Animal from The Muppets), and myself slappin' da bass (n.b. I can't play slap, and I harbour a general dislike for it. Unless we're talking about Undisclosed Desires by Muse).


Simon's got skillz (but his guitar, clearly an Epiphone SG, says it's a Les Paul. lolwut), Gonzalo's a quality drummer (and while you're here, check out his ska band Caipiroska on Facebook), and I like to think I'm quite handy when it comes to bass, and between us we only lightly ruined a few songs; namely, A Beautiful Lie by 30 Seconds To Mars, Muse's Plug In Baby, the beast that is Show Me How To Live by Audioslave, and the Red Hot Chilis classic Californication. We also messed around with a few others, turning out a semi-recognisable rendition of System Of A Down's Toxicity and something that started life as Bullet's Your Betrayal.


Altogether I had a fun (and mildly deafening. Teach me to not bring ear protection...even improvising with headphones, oddly, does nothing) evening, which was also the first time in I don't know how long that I've actually played music with other people. Makes a change from my standard sit-in-my-room-learning-songs-that-are-too-difficult-cough-Mastodon at the very least.


A quick word on Plug Studios; not much to fault them on. Cheap and well-equipped rooms - we had a room for 3 hours, complete with bass/guitar amps and cabs, mics/PA system and a full drumkit for the sum of £20. Bargain. Didn't entirely appreciate being told to leave 10 minutes before our time slot was up because another band was due in - waiting out in reception afterwards at 5 past 9, and nobody was in the room we'd had. Just sayin'...


Lastly, Simon has a band too - he sings and plays bass for a popular music ensemble by the name of Miscreations, so swing by their Facebook on that link and give 'em a listen. And with that, I'm out!

1 comment: