Thursday 21 June 2012

KANYE. HE APPEARS TO BE CRAZY.


I just read a story on NME about Mr West Esquire, talking about his upcoming album Cruel Summer, which is a compilation of songs by artists on 'Ye's label G.O.O.D. This article also mentioned that he apparently has plans for a new solo release that incorporates mostly animal and jungle noises. Right. 


It got me thinking - what happened? I like a lot of styles of music, and I have no shame in saying that Late Registration, his second album, is one of my favourite albums, and one of the first rap albums I got into. I've only been vaguely aware that since then, he's become a bit of a tool. The infamous Taylor Swift incident, a few questionably weird songs and videos, and all his other award show muck-ups. There's also the most recent rap album I've got into, his Jay-Z collab Watch The Throne - his lyrics in that are...weird. Misogynistic and just plain strange in places (case and point: in Ni**as In Paris, the line "...what she order? Fish filet...").


I accept that I don't know everything about him or a lot of his music, but as a more casual observer, he just seems to have gone off on a massive life tangent. And this alleged new album direction could work. I don't think it will, but I'm open. But given how much I love Late Registration, I'm left wondering why he's gone on this apparent tangent.

No comments:

Post a Comment