Tuesday 12 June 2012

THESE RECURRING BREAKDOWNS ARE TAKING THEIR TOLL.

Ones in metal, you must understand. Or rather, the '_____core' subgenres of metal. Metal/jazz/deathcore, they all have some (mostly) heavy-ass breakdowns in them. It's really very easy to do generic breakdowns; far too many are 

CHUG CHUG CHUGGA CHUG CHUG *TREMOLO PICKING* MORE CHUGGACHUGCHUG

Using the lowest open string and maybe the first fret on occasions, just to spice things up a little bit. I think it's fair to say that a lot of the better known/respected _____core bands do actually do these well, which is why they are so good - if they were too generic, then they wouldn't garner much popularity or credibility as metal acts. A band I think have impressively worked themselves out of the generic breakdown rut is Bring Me The Horizon - to compare them across their 3 albums, I think they've got steadily better. From the brainless chug-filled Count Your Blessings, to the more rounded, developed sound of Suicide Season, to the superb There Is A Hell... While they've still got breakdowns, not every song in SS/TIAH... feels the need to descend to it. 

I digressed ever so slightly there. My bad. Anyway, there are a few bands that do them fantastically, such as The Devil Wears Prada, but my absolute favourite breakdown by any band I've ever heard is from Boneyards by Parkway Drive. There are a few dotted around the song, but the one at the very end; "There's blood IN THE WATER" at 2:50 - I love it. It's one of the best bits of growled vocals I've ever heard, and it leads into that powerful breakdown, it's sick.


Also check out the Zombie EP by TDWP, that's great.


No comments:

Post a Comment