Sunday 29 July 2012

'ERE BE TROLLS. DON' BE FEEDIN' 'EM, LEST YE BECOME ONE.

I wrote that title with a West Country accent in my head. Kinda how I imagined hobbits spoke before the LOTR did my mental imagery for me. Think Sean Astin as Sam. I digress. I've been having some entertaining dealings with some Youtube trolls over Muse's Survival; initially, I said

"I will never care what haters say regarding this. Most Musers seem to love it, myself among them, does anything else actually matter?"

To which I had the well-though-out and relevant response of

"because you musers would love a music video of bellamy sucking a homeless guys **** if they made one"

I and a few other users had a bit of fun having a go at this guy's various comments along the same lines, but it got me thinking. A little while ago I was a bit of a dick about several bands and things (you won't find the post), and the tone of that post is something I regret. 

Recently I've had a mass clearout of my iTunes library, realising that there was a whole heap of music that I didn't like or listen to any more, and it's since been replaced with a multitude of stuff that I do like. At first I was very derisive about the bands I'd got rid of, but I realised that there was no point in doing so. I think it's taken me a little too long to consider phases of musical taste properly - before, I've gone through phases of different genres, and upon moving through them to something different, I've looked back and said to myself "what the funkadoodle was I thinking?". But that's not the point, because you DID like them at one point, and so they meant something to you. That meaning may not be relevant to you any more, but don't regret it or nuthin', because that music was there for you when you needed it. Unless, of course, there are some really dire, meaningless moments in your musical history, in which case, sit down have a serious talk with yourself. LOL. I had a Westwood compilation once...

There are always going to be bands/artists that people dislike/vehemently hate/desire for them to be burned from the face of the Earth, leaving naught but a pile of bloodied ashes, so I'm not saying that I think every band should be liked, or even tolerated. For example, I detest Lostprophets and Coldplay (just two examples). Feel free to express your dislike, but (and here's the crux of the post), don't be a dick about it. There're too many pointless arguments, where people who don't like certain bands/artists and tell the people who do about their opinion in terrible English. This goes for lots of things in life, but I'm keeping it in a musical context here. So what I'm trying to do is not be a massive tool when it comes to disliking music. It'll still happen, nobody's perfect, but I'ma try and keep it to a minimum. Don't go onto Youtube and comment on stuff you don't like, it's a pointless waste of time, and potentially spoils it for the people who the music is meant for - the fans. 

If there's anyone you think might need this as reading material, share, share and share away. And summing up my entire post here is this, one of the greatest (and mildly annoying, but meh) videos on Youtube;

No comments:

Post a Comment